Roadmap to Austria Lauder Business School

Bachelor Students

”Students, who are nationals of third countries and who are in possesion of a residence permit and students from Croatia are permitted gainful employment during their studies in Austria“ (OeaD: “Guide to entry and residence requirements for foreign students”: 2014, p. 18).


  • Work permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung)

Students from third countries are subject to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals and require an work permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung).

“Students in a bachelor´s program or in the first stage of a diploma degree program are allowed to work 20 hours per week. The work permit has to be applied for at the AMS by the employer at least 6 weeks before the beginning of the employment and is only valid for a specific job with the specific employer.” (idem)

  • Labour market test (Arbeitsmarktprüfung)

Permits will only be granted if the labour market test shows that there is no Austrian worker or no non-Austrian worker (already integrated in the Austrian labour market) registered with the AMS available for the job.

Work permits for more than 10 hours per week respectively can only be granted after the labour market test. (

Please note: a work permit is also necessary for minimum income work (geringfügige Beschäftigung)

  • Practical training (Anzeigebestätigung)

If a practical training is scheduled in your curriculum, no work permit is needed.

The employer has to notify the employment office (AMS) and the tax authorities of the practical training at least two weeks before the beginning of the training. The AMS will issue a confirmation of notification (Anzeigebestätigung). (OeaD: “Guide to entry and residence requirements for foreign students”: 2014, p. 18)

Please note: For practical trainings in the framework of EU educational programs, e.g. Erasmus, Tempus, Phare you do not require a work permit!

The responsible AMS is in Ungargasse 37, 1030 Vienna

  • Valid health insurance for the duration of studies

All non-EU residents are required to have a health insurance that covers all cost of medical treatment in Austria, with a minimum of 60,000.00 €.

You can contract a health insurance with the WGKK (Austrian national public health insurance) for 58,39 € (as of January 2018) .

If you intend to do your practical training in an other EU-country, please make sure that your insurance is covering you also abroad.
The WGKK issues for that reason a European Insurance Card (Europäische Krankenversicherungskarte), but only to those who have made payments of at least 6 consecutive months within 180 day. This means: If you have paid 6 months in a row since the day of the conclusion of the contract, without interruption, only then you are entitled for a European Health insurance card.


Seeking Employment

Last update: January 2018

All information is supplied without liability and is subject to change. Lauder Business School does not resume any legal responsibility.